Skip to main content

Where is the money, MHC?

Haresh Says, as published in Mailsport today.

LET’S look at the facts.

The National Sports Council director-general Datuk Zolkples Embong was quoted saying: “Malaysia Hockey Confederation (MHC) have many programmes but are facing financial constraints.”

MHC secretary Datuk Johari Abdul Aziz had then said: “I don’t think there is a financial crisis but I have to check with the relevant officials.”

MHC treasurer Datuk N. Radhakrishnan said: “After going through the accounts, I can confirm we are not broke.”

So what’s the story?

The only thing consistent is all three quoted had the title ‘Datuk’ in front of their names. Period.

While some continue to debate if MHC is in the red or otherwise, the reality remains that hockey players and teams have not received subsidies, prize monies and incentives promised to them since last year.

This include those who participated in the Raja Noorashikin Cup last October, the national Under-14 and national veterans tournaments a month later and the national Under-21 competition in December.

The sum owed is said to be over RM200,000.

Even teams who played in the recent Malaysia Junior Hockey League have not received their subsidies and prize money.

Mailsport’s journalist Vijhay Vick had reported that even the national junior and senior teams had not received their bonuses for last year’s Junior World Cup and SEA Games respectively.

For the record, the national juniors were placed fourth in the world meet — matching the nation’s previous best achievement 28 years ago.

It was natural to speak to several key people within the fraternity. Typically, all were willing to share their views with the exception their names would not be published.

“I don’t think MHC is broke but they need to pioritise their expenditure to ensure they would not run into financial woes in time to come,” said an official.

“The incentive scheme has placed MHC in a peculiar position. While it is noble for them to offer monetary rewards to outstanding players, it will also result in higher expenditure. Things are not cheap these days.”

Another official said: “Yes, the players of the various age group tournaments have not received their subsidies. I bet those participating in the upcoming national Under-16 meet would face the same predicament.”

The Under-16 tourney will be held from March 22-31 in Perlis.

Several others, while trying their very best to defend MHC, concurred promises met should be kept.

“The money will eventually come. We just have to be patient about it. It’s been the norm,” said a veteran official.

In any professional set-up, it is not the norm for teams or clubs to wait for months before money is paid. Finances need to be planned in advance.

MHC ought to also be transparent with its affiliates and stakeholders. They should not be kept in the dark and should know when the monies will be channelled to them.

National bodies and even government agencies, in general, ought to realise they are not a Sdn Bhd where they can simply brush off questions posed by saying “it’s none of your business”. Tax-payers money is involved, directly or indirectly, while the athletes and fans are the biggest stake-holders.

If MHC is indeed not broke, then they should pay up on time. They need to get their act right and only then the state affiliates will follow suit.

Professionalism has to start somewhere. For MHC, it’s about managing their finances right.

HARESH is editor (investigations and special projects) of The Malay Mail. Banter with him at haresh@mmail.com.my or on Twitter @HareshDeol

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What went wrong with KL SEA Games?

145 gold medals.
It's the best Team Malaysia has ever achieved since the inception of the SEAP Games in1959.
The 29th edition of the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur ended yesterday. The opening ceremony dazzled those at the stands and viewers at home while the performances during the closing ceremony yesterday jogged plenty of musical memories to many.
Our athletes, the real superheroes, brought smiles through their heroic display. They made everyday a happy day.
Kudos to the officials - from the coaches, the National Sports Institute and National Sports Council - for their hard work in ensuring our athletes perform to their best.
But it was not all memorable.
From

'World fashion disaster' in KL

World Fashion Week Asia 2017 ended over the weekend.

And the launch on Friday at Palace of the Golden Horses at Mines Resort City just outside Kuala Lumpur turned out to be a forgettable night.

Why?

It was poorly organised.

Just as many are trying to get over the nightmare witnessed throughout the KL SEA Games, the organiser of World Fashion Week Asia 2017 has made it look like Malaysians seem to have lost it when it comes to hosting major events and hospitality.

Here's why.

Royal protocol ignored

1. The Sultanah of Terengganu Sultanah Nur Zahirah was invited to grace the event.
    a. There was no holding room for the Sultanah and VIPs accompanying her.
    b. The Sultanah was invited on stage without anyone accompanying her there (a big NO NO if anyone knows protocol involving royalty).
    c. The event dragged on till 11.30pm, way past the cut off point of the very many events I've attended with members of the royal family present.
   d. The Sultanah was forced to walk all t…

Klang run 'illegal', says Sports Commissioner

UPDATE (Dec 11; 11.58am): Sporting events approved by Sports Commissioner's Office will be posted on the Youth and Sports Ministry's website starting Dec 14, as revealed by the Sports Commissioner in her statement today. I'm glad the last point of my observation (as per posting right below) has been addressed.

---

UPDATE (10.57pm): A Twitter user had sent me a link by the organiser of the Klang Heritage Marathon 2017. It states that the marathon has been "postponed to Oct 14, 2018" and that they have been victims of fake news and will lodge reports with the authorities against materials with elements of defamation or fake news. Read the full statement, posted on Dec 2, here.

---
ORIGINAL POST

A Klang City International Marathon 2017 pacer suffered serious injuries after she and two others were hit by a car

Turns out that the organiser of this morning's event, Earth Runners International Group Sdn Bhd, DID NOT submit any application to the Sports Commissioner&#…