Ex-Olympian Gary Fidelis suffers blurry vision


Former hockey international Gary Fidelis, who represented Malaysia at the 1992 Barcelona Olympic Games, has been traveling from Seremban to Kuala Lumpur for years to treat his right eye due to blurry vision.

Gary, 53, has been short-sighted since young but doctors said his vision has been further impaired due to constant knocks and falls.

"I fell and suffered plenty of knocks to my eye during my playing days. I believe that has aggravated the situation, causing my vision to become worse," said Gary, a former St Paul's Institution student.

Four years ago, he underwent a surgery to treat a retinal detachment but it has done little to repair his vision.

"I was supposed to go for another surgery at Selayang Hospital on Monday (Nov 11) but it didn't happen as my eye was inflamed and doctors were afraid that this may lead to other complications.

"My next visit to the hospital is next Tuesday (Nov 21) and I'm required to undergo laser vision correction and the doctors will then decide the next course of action."

Gary, who is the guest relations assistant manager at d'Tempat Country Club in Sendayan, admits traveling between hospitals from his home in Seremban has taken a toll.

"I've been seeing many doctors based in various hospitals in the Klang Valley. It's time consuming and a costly affair.

"But it has to be done," he added.

"Doctors have said that they will try and stablise my vision. That's good enough for me."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tickets for Kuala Lumpur Masters Malaysia Super 100 2023 now available

Pelepasan cukai tambahan untuk pembelian alatan sukan, sewaan fasiliti sukan antara cadangan untuk Bajet 2024

From 'Mr P' to 'Kemelut Dalaman BAM': Four chapters of 'mesej Whatsapp layang'