Skip to main content

Future funds only for upgrading sports facilities; PWD blames contractors for canvas roof collapse

As published in Malay Mail today

By Haresh Deol

PETALING JAYA — Any allocation from the Youth and Sports Ministry for future Malaysia Games (Sukma) will only be for the upgrading works of existing facilities.
 
Minister Khairy Jamaluddin said it was the federal government’s policy to ensure all states had a main stadium and that Perlis was the last state to own its sports complex — the Tunku Syed Sirajuddin Putra Sports Complex in Kangar.
 

 
“After this, no more (funds for building stadiums),” he said.
 
“It was a federal (government) policy to make sure every state had it own facilities and that Sukma be held at every state. From now, any allocation from the ministry will be strictly for upgrading facilities.”

He, however, said states were free to build their own infrastructure using their own funds. 
Khairy was responding to the canvas roof which fell due to strong winds and a downpour at the newly built aquatics centre in the Tunku Syed Sirajuddin Putra Sports Complex last Thursday. The incident disrupted the swimming competition.

The national games, which end today, were also plagued by other problems, including leakages at the badminton hall and an incomplete golf course.
The Rembau MP, however, had labelled Perlis Sukma a success.

“We had minor issues, the roof being one of it, a minor food poisoning incident involving five people and several police reports lodged over missing bags and petty theft but overall, Sukma in Perlis was a success,” he said.

Some RM122 million was spent to host the Sukma in Perlis this year. 
The previous Sukma, organised on a smaller scale, was held in Kuala Lumpur last year while Pahang hosted the event in 2012, with a budget of RM280 million.

This is not the first time Sukma projects have encountered various problems. 
The RM292 million Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin Stadium, built for the 2008 Sukma in Terengganu, saw its roof collapse in 2009. 

Reports later revealed the collapse was due to design fault and inappropriate materials.
An additional RM100 million was needed to repair the stadium. The roof collapsed again early last year while undergoing reconstruction work.

The 10 football fields at Malacca’s Hang Tuah Sports Complex, which hosted the 13th Sukma, were poorly designed as they were too close to each other.
 
---
PWD blames contractors for canvas roof collapse
By Faizal Nor Izham

KUALA LUMPUR — The Public Works Department (PWD) has identified three possible causes why the canvas roof at an aquatic centre in Perlis fell.
It also said the contractors were responsible for the episode.

Works Minister Datuk Fadillah Yusof said PWD sent a forensics team to the newly built centre at the Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Putra Sports Complex in Kangar after the fallen roof disrupted the Malaysia Games (Sukma) swimming competition last Thursday.

“We sent our forensics team and their report detailed three possible causes (of the incident) — the design, quality of materials and workmanship,” he said.
“All three causes were the sole responsibility of the main contractor and the appointed specialist contractors.”

He said the preliminary report would be passed to the Perlis government and the state department to determine the next cause of action. 
“If it involves designs approved by registered professionals, action can be taken by their respective professional boards.”

Fadillah said the Youth and Sports Ministry was the “client ministry” and the project was approved by the Cabinet and the Finance Ministry. 
He was met at the 2013 Excellent Service Awards ceremony at Kompleks Kerja Raya yesterday.

The Perlis Sukma, which ends today, was also plagued by other issues, including a leaking badminton hall and an incomplete golf course.
Fadillah said the badminton hall was completed just two days before the tournament and had complied with the required specifications.

“Of course there were some minor defects, which is normal. The golf course met specifications and was completed before the games, except for the VIP changing room,” he said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What went wrong with KL SEA Games?

145 gold medals.
It's the best Team Malaysia has ever achieved since the inception of the SEAP Games in1959.
The 29th edition of the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur ended yesterday. The opening ceremony dazzled those at the stands and viewers at home while the performances during the closing ceremony yesterday jogged plenty of musical memories to many.
Our athletes, the real superheroes, brought smiles through their heroic display. They made everyday a happy day.
Kudos to the officials - from the coaches, the National Sports Institute and National Sports Council - for their hard work in ensuring our athletes perform to their best.
But it was not all memorable.
From

'World fashion disaster' in KL

World Fashion Week Asia 2017 ended over the weekend.

And the launch on Friday at Palace of the Golden Horses at Mines Resort City just outside Kuala Lumpur turned out to be a forgettable night.

Why?

It was poorly organised.

Just as many are trying to get over the nightmare witnessed throughout the KL SEA Games, the organiser of World Fashion Week Asia 2017 has made it look like Malaysians seem to have lost it when it comes to hosting major events and hospitality.

Here's why.

Royal protocol ignored

1. The Sultanah of Terengganu Sultanah Nur Zahirah was invited to grace the event.
    a. There was no holding room for the Sultanah and VIPs accompanying her.
    b. The Sultanah was invited on stage without anyone accompanying her there (a big NO NO if anyone knows protocol involving royalty).
    c. The event dragged on till 11.30pm, way past the cut off point of the very many events I've attended with members of the royal family present.
   d. The Sultanah was forced to walk all t…

Klang run 'illegal', says Sports Commissioner

UPDATE (Dec 11; 11.58am): Sporting events approved by Sports Commissioner's Office will be posted on the Youth and Sports Ministry's website starting Dec 14, as revealed by the Sports Commissioner in her statement today. I'm glad the last point of my observation (as per posting right below) has been addressed.

---

UPDATE (10.57pm): A Twitter user had sent me a link by the organiser of the Klang Heritage Marathon 2017. It states that the marathon has been "postponed to Oct 14, 2018" and that they have been victims of fake news and will lodge reports with the authorities against materials with elements of defamation or fake news. Read the full statement, posted on Dec 2, here.

---
ORIGINAL POST

A Klang City International Marathon 2017 pacer suffered serious injuries after she and two others were hit by a car

Turns out that the organiser of this morning's event, Earth Runners International Group Sdn Bhd, DID NOT submit any application to the Sports Commissioner&#…