Skip to main content

Tengku Abdullah wants Subahan as hockey chief

As published in Mailsport today.




By Vijhay Vick
vijhayvick@mmail.com.my




PETALING JAYA — Selangor HA (SHA) president Datuk Seri Subahan Kamal (pic) is the front runner to be the next Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) president.

Former MHC general manager Maninderjit Singh is tipped to make a return as chief executive officer.

According to sources within the national body, out-going MHC president Tengku Abdullah Shah has earmarked the Subahan as his replacement.

Subahan’s first task would be to improved MHC’s financial standing as the association is believed to be RM2 million in debt.

“Subahan will be the next president. Tengku Abdullah has already spoken to Subahan, who has agreed to come on aboard,” said a senior MHC official.

“They even went to the Asian Games together and Tengku Abdullah was introducing him as the next president.”

In August, Tengku Abdullah revealed he would not seek re-election as he was going for the Asian Hockey Federation’s top post. He then won that seat uncontested.

He is expected to announce his replacement at the MHC extraordinary general meeting in Johor next week.

Tengku Abdullah earlier said he had “identified one or two candidates but I cannot reveal their identities yet.”

When asked about the possibility of him becoming the new president, Subahan said: “Tengku Abdullah is the right person to comment. I’m focusing on SHA.”

Subahan, who was a FA of Malaysia (FAM) vice-president from 2010-2014, was elected SHA deputy-president in 2009 before occupying the hot seat two years later.

Among his milestones in SHA included reviving the state hockey league after a lapse of seven years in 2009,  introducing the 32-team two-day carnival-like Selangor Open, emphasising on men’s indoor hockey and ensuring development was continuous despite the lack of pitches in the state.

“He is hands on and goes to the field often. He focuses a lot on age-group teams. Development has been a priority,” said SHA secretary P. Kuganeson.

Selangor have won the National Indoor Under-16s four times since 2009 and also various other age-group national championships.

Selangor also emerged the Razak Cup Division 2 winners last year.

With MHC in desperate need to revamp itself and the Malaysian Hockey League, which is fading into obscurity, Subahan could fancy taking similar approach in the national body.

And he may have Maninderjit there to assist him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What went wrong with KL SEA Games?

145 gold medals.
It's the best Team Malaysia has ever achieved since the inception of the SEAP Games in1959.
The 29th edition of the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur ended yesterday. The opening ceremony dazzled those at the stands and viewers at home while the performances during the closing ceremony yesterday jogged plenty of musical memories to many.
Our athletes, the real superheroes, brought smiles through their heroic display. They made everyday a happy day.
Kudos to the officials - from the coaches, the National Sports Institute and National Sports Council - for their hard work in ensuring our athletes perform to their best.
But it was not all memorable.
From

'World fashion disaster' in KL

World Fashion Week Asia 2017 ended over the weekend.

And the launch on Friday at Palace of the Golden Horses at Mines Resort City just outside Kuala Lumpur turned out to be a forgettable night.

Why?

It was poorly organised.

Just as many are trying to get over the nightmare witnessed throughout the KL SEA Games, the organiser of World Fashion Week Asia 2017 has made it look like Malaysians seem to have lost it when it comes to hosting major events and hospitality.

Here's why.

Royal protocol ignored

1. The Sultanah of Terengganu Sultanah Nur Zahirah was invited to grace the event.
    a. There was no holding room for the Sultanah and VIPs accompanying her.
    b. The Sultanah was invited on stage without anyone accompanying her there (a big NO NO if anyone knows protocol involving royalty).
    c. The event dragged on till 11.30pm, way past the cut off point of the very many events I've attended with members of the royal family present.
   d. The Sultanah was forced to walk all t…

Klang run 'illegal', says Sports Commissioner

UPDATE (Dec 11; 11.58am): Sporting events approved by Sports Commissioner's Office will be posted on the Youth and Sports Ministry's website starting Dec 14, as revealed by the Sports Commissioner in her statement today. I'm glad the last point of my observation (as per posting right below) has been addressed.

---

UPDATE (10.57pm): A Twitter user had sent me a link by the organiser of the Klang Heritage Marathon 2017. It states that the marathon has been "postponed to Oct 14, 2018" and that they have been victims of fake news and will lodge reports with the authorities against materials with elements of defamation or fake news. Read the full statement, posted on Dec 2, here.

---
ORIGINAL POST

A Klang City International Marathon 2017 pacer suffered serious injuries after she and two others were hit by a car

Turns out that the organiser of this morning's event, Earth Runners International Group Sdn Bhd, DID NOT submit any application to the Sports Commissioner&#…