Skip to main content

MHC in the red

As published in Mailsport today

By Vijhay Vick
vijhay@mmail.com.my

PETALING JAYA — The Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) has made a desperate call to its sponsors to pay up as debt mounts. 

Treasurer Datuk N. Radhakrishnan, who was appointed last April, told Mailsport the national body owes about RM800,000 to its stakeholders, including affiliates and officials. 

But he insists the bank books will be balanced in a couple of months and is confident MHC will not have to take legal action to collect the money owed by sponsors.

“I have briefed the president (Tengku Abdullah Shah) on the cash flow and he is looking at ways to get funds. We have cleared the arrears from 2013 and the first half of 2014,” revealed Radhakrishnan. 

Among the figures still outstanding are the Malaysian Hockey League (MHL) overall category prize money in excess of RM150,000. The competition ended on Dec 14. 

State affiliates have also not received their participation subsidy of RM3,000 each for the Raja Noora Ashikin (RNA) Cup in November.

“We are pursuing the sponsors and they have promised to settle the amount soon,” said Radhakrishnan. 

“There are several organisations who waited for our (public relations value) reports which we have already submitted. We should get the money next month.” 

He promised the money owed for the MHL and RNA Cup will be made by mid-February. 

On Monday, MHC senior vice president Datuk Nur Azmi Ahmad pointed fingers at sponsors for financial problems faced by the association since last year and demanded they fulfil their contractual obligations. 

“We have a financial structure every year but it becomes a problem when sponsors delay payments,” he said. 

Azmi was responding to MHC’s intent to finance Australian coach Neil Hawgood’s stint after paymasters National Sports Council refused to appoint him before MHC’s annual general meeting. 

Azmi, however, did not explain why MHC needed Hawgood — who has never coached a national men’s team — when there were more qualified Malaysians willing to serve the country.

Comments

  1. While we are at the issue of "in the red" there are strong winds saying that even the NSAM (shooting) is also in the red.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What went wrong with KL SEA Games?

145 gold medals.
It's the best Team Malaysia has ever achieved since the inception of the SEAP Games in1959.
The 29th edition of the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur ended yesterday. The opening ceremony dazzled those at the stands and viewers at home while the performances during the closing ceremony yesterday jogged plenty of musical memories to many.
Our athletes, the real superheroes, brought smiles through their heroic display. They made everyday a happy day.
Kudos to the officials - from the coaches, the National Sports Institute and National Sports Council - for their hard work in ensuring our athletes perform to their best.
But it was not all memorable.
From

'World fashion disaster' in KL

World Fashion Week Asia 2017 ended over the weekend.

And the launch on Friday at Palace of the Golden Horses at Mines Resort City just outside Kuala Lumpur turned out to be a forgettable night.

Why?

It was poorly organised.

Just as many are trying to get over the nightmare witnessed throughout the KL SEA Games, the organiser of World Fashion Week Asia 2017 has made it look like Malaysians seem to have lost it when it comes to hosting major events and hospitality.

Here's why.

Royal protocol ignored

1. The Sultanah of Terengganu Sultanah Nur Zahirah was invited to grace the event.
    a. There was no holding room for the Sultanah and VIPs accompanying her.
    b. The Sultanah was invited on stage without anyone accompanying her there (a big NO NO if anyone knows protocol involving royalty).
    c. The event dragged on till 11.30pm, way past the cut off point of the very many events I've attended with members of the royal family present.
   d. The Sultanah was forced to walk all t…

Klang run 'illegal', says Sports Commissioner

UPDATE (Dec 11; 11.58am): Sporting events approved by Sports Commissioner's Office will be posted on the Youth and Sports Ministry's website starting Dec 14, as revealed by the Sports Commissioner in her statement today. I'm glad the last point of my observation (as per posting right below) has been addressed.

---

UPDATE (10.57pm): A Twitter user had sent me a link by the organiser of the Klang Heritage Marathon 2017. It states that the marathon has been "postponed to Oct 14, 2018" and that they have been victims of fake news and will lodge reports with the authorities against materials with elements of defamation or fake news. Read the full statement, posted on Dec 2, here.

---
ORIGINAL POST

A Klang City International Marathon 2017 pacer suffered serious injuries after she and two others were hit by a car

Turns out that the organiser of this morning's event, Earth Runners International Group Sdn Bhd, DID NOT submit any application to the Sports Commissioner&#…