Skip to main content

Teen’s dying wish to meet guitar hero fulfilled

As published in Malay Mail today

By Gwen Manickam

PETALING JAYA — It was a visit that struck all the right chords for cancer-stricken teenager Muhammad Syazwan Ashraf Mohd Sukri, 19, who sadly passed away hours after meeting his rock idol.

Syazwan had his last wish when he spent more than an hour with Man Kidal of Lefthanded at University Malaya Medical Centre before he died.

The member of the 80s rock band surprised Syazwan who had been his big fan since childhood.
The meet-up at Syazwan’s ward, while emotional, drew joy from the boy who was suffering from dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans, a rare form of soft tissue cancer.

Syazwan’s wish before he drew his final breath was to meet Man Kidal and, ultimately, the meeting could not have been more timely.

“I am touched but at the same time amazed he knows me. Through music, I have this fan,” said Man Kidal, 52.

“This is something I will remember all the days of my life.”

He visited Syazwan with his wife Norlaila Yusof and five-year-old grandson Adam Maulana. Norlaila, who is Man Kidal’s manager, could not hold back her tears during the visit.

Bed-ridden Syazwan was elated when Mat Kidal walked in.

They were brought together by businessman Kuldeep Singh, 52, a regular at the hospital where he visits at least 30 patients daily. That is how he met Syazwan.

“I was introduced to Syazwan by another cancer patient. I asked him if he had any particular wish and Syazwan said it was to meet Man Kidal.

“I made some phone calls and managed to get the guitarist to fulfil Syazwan’s dream,” he said.
Man Kidal was in Johor Baru for a gig but drove back yesterday to meet his young fan.

Syazwan’s mother Ruzita Abd Kadir, 45, was thrilled that Syazwan finally met his guitar idol.
“I can’t believe how happy he is. Through it all he is smiling and laughing,” said an emotional Ruzita.
“I’m so happy to meet my idol and hold his hand,” said Sayzwan.

Man Kidal had another surprise for Syazwan — an electric guitar which he had intended to present to him today.

However, it was not to be. Unfortunately and unbeknown to Man Kidal, Syazwan passed away at about 10.15pm before he could receive his gift.

He will be laid to rest today in his home town of Kampung Batu 14, Ayer Hitam, Muar, Johor.


Popular posts from this blog

What went wrong with KL SEA Games?

145 gold medals.
It's the best Team Malaysia has ever achieved since the inception of the SEAP Games in1959.
The 29th edition of the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur ended yesterday. The opening ceremony dazzled those at the stands and viewers at home while the performances during the closing ceremony yesterday jogged plenty of musical memories to many.
Our athletes, the real superheroes, brought smiles through their heroic display. They made everyday a happy day.
Kudos to the officials - from the coaches, the National Sports Institute and National Sports Council - for their hard work in ensuring our athletes perform to their best.
But it was not all memorable.

'World fashion disaster' in KL

World Fashion Week Asia 2017 ended over the weekend.

And the launch on Friday at Palace of the Golden Horses at Mines Resort City just outside Kuala Lumpur turned out to be a forgettable night.


It was poorly organised.

Just as many are trying to get over the nightmare witnessed throughout the KL SEA Games, the organiser of World Fashion Week Asia 2017 has made it look like Malaysians seem to have lost it when it comes to hosting major events and hospitality.

Here's why.

Royal protocol ignored

1. The Sultanah of Terengganu Sultanah Nur Zahirah was invited to grace the event.
    a. There was no holding room for the Sultanah and VIPs accompanying her.
    b. The Sultanah was invited on stage without anyone accompanying her there (a big NO NO if anyone knows protocol involving royalty).
    c. The event dragged on till 11.30pm, way past the cut off point of the very many events I've attended with members of the royal family present.
   d. The Sultanah was forced to walk all t…

Klang run 'illegal', says Sports Commissioner

UPDATE (Dec 11; 11.58am): Sporting events approved by Sports Commissioner's Office will be posted on the Youth and Sports Ministry's website starting Dec 14, as revealed by the Sports Commissioner in her statement today. I'm glad the last point of my observation (as per posting right below) has been addressed.


UPDATE (10.57pm): A Twitter user had sent me a link by the organiser of the Klang Heritage Marathon 2017. It states that the marathon has been "postponed to Oct 14, 2018" and that they have been victims of fake news and will lodge reports with the authorities against materials with elements of defamation or fake news. Read the full statement, posted on Dec 2, here.


A Klang City International Marathon 2017 pacer suffered serious injuries after she and two others were hit by a car

Turns out that the organiser of this morning's event, Earth Runners International Group Sdn Bhd, DID NOT submit any application to the Sports Commissioner&#…