Skip to main content

Legendary billiards star Moh Loon Hong dies

As published in Mailsport today

 Loon Hong in this picture posted by a fan on Facebook.
By Haresh Deol

PETALING JAYA — It is a bleak Chinese New Year for the snooker fraternity after legendary billiards maestro Moh Loon Hong passed away yesterday.
Loon Hong suffered from cancer of the bladder and passed on at 4.33am at Unversiti Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC). He was 63.
The Penangnite was a hit on the green carpet, having won two SEA Games gold medals in the 1991 Manila Games and 1995 Chiang Mai Games. He clinched the bronze at the 1993 Singapore Games.
Snooker runs in the blood of the family as his son Keen Ho also excelled in the sport, having won the Asian Junior Championship in 2003 and winning the SEA Games gold medal in Korat in 2007. His daughter Chaw Teng plays pool for the country.
Loon Hong was supposed to play alongside Keen Ho in the upcoming Kuala Lumpur SEA Games.
“It’s a loss ... I’m lost for words,” said Keen Ho.
“His cancer spread quickly, from his bladder to his brain.”
“I will play for him ... show him my capabilities,” he said in reference to the regional games.
Malaysia Snooker and Billiards Federation (MSBF) president Melvin Chia said Loon Hong was a household name.
“He was an all-rounder. While billiards was his specialty, he had no problems excelling in snooker and pool. The game was in his blood,” Melvin said.
“It’s of no surprise he has been a great influence to his children as they too are big names in the scene.”
Chia described Loon Hong’s demise as a loss for he was to represent the nation at the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur
“At 63 and still representing the country, that says a lot. We haven’t thought about who will best replace him at the Games. Let’s give the family their time to grieve and we will discuss this later.”
Loon Hong had last month complained he was unwell and was referred to the National Sports Institute. The institute then referred him to UMMC where he underwent tests and a surgery.
It was later found he had cancer and was supposed to undergo another operation next Thursday.
Loon Hong’s remains were sent to Mount Erskine in Penang and he will be cremated at Batu Gantung tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What went wrong with KL SEA Games?

145 gold medals.
It's the best Team Malaysia has ever achieved since the inception of the SEAP Games in1959.
The 29th edition of the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur ended yesterday. The opening ceremony dazzled those at the stands and viewers at home while the performances during the closing ceremony yesterday jogged plenty of musical memories to many.
Our athletes, the real superheroes, brought smiles through their heroic display. They made everyday a happy day.
Kudos to the officials - from the coaches, the National Sports Institute and National Sports Council - for their hard work in ensuring our athletes perform to their best.
But it was not all memorable.
From

'World fashion disaster' in KL

World Fashion Week Asia 2017 ended over the weekend.

And the launch on Friday at Palace of the Golden Horses at Mines Resort City just outside Kuala Lumpur turned out to be a forgettable night.

Why?

It was poorly organised.

Just as many are trying to get over the nightmare witnessed throughout the KL SEA Games, the organiser of World Fashion Week Asia 2017 has made it look like Malaysians seem to have lost it when it comes to hosting major events and hospitality.

Here's why.

Royal protocol ignored

1. The Sultanah of Terengganu Sultanah Nur Zahirah was invited to grace the event.
    a. There was no holding room for the Sultanah and VIPs accompanying her.
    b. The Sultanah was invited on stage without anyone accompanying her there (a big NO NO if anyone knows protocol involving royalty).
    c. The event dragged on till 11.30pm, way past the cut off point of the very many events I've attended with members of the royal family present.
   d. The Sultanah was forced to walk all t…

Klang run 'illegal', says Sports Commissioner

UPDATE (Dec 11; 11.58am): Sporting events approved by Sports Commissioner's Office will be posted on the Youth and Sports Ministry's website starting Dec 14, as revealed by the Sports Commissioner in her statement today. I'm glad the last point of my observation (as per posting right below) has been addressed.

---

UPDATE (10.57pm): A Twitter user had sent me a link by the organiser of the Klang Heritage Marathon 2017. It states that the marathon has been "postponed to Oct 14, 2018" and that they have been victims of fake news and will lodge reports with the authorities against materials with elements of defamation or fake news. Read the full statement, posted on Dec 2, here.

---
ORIGINAL POST

A Klang City International Marathon 2017 pacer suffered serious injuries after she and two others were hit by a car

Turns out that the organiser of this morning's event, Earth Runners International Group Sdn Bhd, DID NOT submit any application to the Sports Commissioner&#…