Skip to main content

Where's the planning, who do we blame?

It was all over the Internet yesterday and hogged the backpages of most dailies today.

Only six footballers turned up on the first day of centralised training yesterday, ahead of the AFC Under23 Championship scheduled to start on July 19 in Bangkok.

The remaining 20 players who were called up by coach Ong Kim Swee (pic) will come in batches.

Teams who did not release their players yesterday have created the presumption it is they who call the shots and not the national body.

1. National coaches met late last year to discuss the 2017 calendar. All were aware of tournaments scheduled for 2017.
Why:
- didn't the guardians of the domestic league take into account our international obligations? For the record, AFC generally prepares its calendar two years in advance.

2. Kim Swee, his assistants and the six players who reported for duty pretty much wasted their time yesterday.
Why:
- should the six players and coaches continue to waste their time? They might as well gather only when all 26 report for centralised training.

3. We have seen similar episodes in the past, where clubs/ state teams were reluctant to release their players for national duty.
Why:
- hasn't anyone addressed this?

4. If we fail in the qualifiers and SEA Games, who will be blamed?

How do we move forward?
It's as simple as planning in advance and sticking to the plan.

If we can't even get that right, let's not dream of hosting the World Cup one day. We could see M-League matches being played during the World Cup (and I'm being sarcastic here).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klang run 'illegal', says Sports Commissioner

UPDATE (Dec 11; 11.58am): Sporting events approved by Sports Commissioner's Office will be posted on the Youth and Sports Ministry's website starting Dec 14, as revealed by the Sports Commissioner in her statement today. I'm glad the last point of my observation (as per posting right below) has been addressed.

---

UPDATE (10.57pm): A Twitter user had sent me a link by the organiser of the Klang Heritage Marathon 2017. It states that the marathon has been "postponed to Oct 14, 2018" and that they have been victims of fake news and will lodge reports with the authorities against materials with elements of defamation or fake news. Read the full statement, posted on Dec 2, here.

---
ORIGINAL POST

A Klang City International Marathon 2017 pacer suffered serious injuries after she and two others were hit by a car

Turns out that the organiser of this morning's event, Earth Runners International Group Sdn Bhd, DID NOT submit any application to the Sports Commissioner&#…

Football journo's accreditation card retracted for being 'overly critical'

Four Four Two journalist Vijhay Vick's accreditation card to cover the M-League has been "retracted" by Football Malaysia LLP last night.

The letter, signed by FMLLP chief executive officer Kevin Ramalingam, stated:
"We are open to criticism by the public, however, it has been brought to FMLLP's attention that you have been overly critical of the Malaysian League and have made misleading statements and or shared misleading statements made by third parties. This is very damaging to the image of the League and the brand that we are trying to build."
It remains unclear which articles written by Vijhay are said to be "overly critical" of the Malaysian League.
Vijhay, in responding to the letter he received last night, said: 
"I was shocked (to receive the letter). I would like to know which articles of mine that are overly critical of the league."
It is best if FMLLP explained its definition of being "overly critical". 
While the bo…

Poser over national table tennis association 'RM8 million loans' to private companies

UPDATE (May 20, 2018; 3.15pm):Lawyer representing Table Tennis Association of Malaysia admitted manner in which loans amounting to RM8 million given out by association to two developers was "not right" and that his client is taking steps to terminate the contracts. He said this after attending an exco meeting at the association's office in Bukit Jalil this morning.
---
ORIGINAL POST

The Table Tennis Association of Malaysia (TTAM) has been smashed with allegations of giving out RM8 million worth of "loans" to two developers, raising eyebrows and irking at least two of its affiliates.

A police report has also been lodged over the matter.


According to a letter by the Kuala Lumpur Table Tennis Association (KLTTA), written on May 3:

i. TTAM's Financial Statement (ended March 31, 2018) presented during the 6th Exco Meeting on April 21, 2018 saw a total sum of RM8 million loans granted to two private companies - Ekal Jaya Sdn Bhd and Iktimewah Sdn Bhd (RM4 million …