Skip to main content

Sports Commissioner yet to receive application for Manny Pacquiao's Kuala Lumpur fight

April 22, 2018 (11.23am): A press conference was held in Kuala Lumpur on Friday, announcing the fight between Manny Pacquiao and Lucas Matthysse will be held at the Axiata Arena in Kuala Lumpur on July 15. 
The press conference was organised by MP (Manny Pacquiao) Production. It is learnt Manila-based MP Production is still looking for a local organiser for the fight. 
For the record, Section 36 of the Sports Development Act 1997 states:

--
ORIGINAL POST


Professional boxer Manny Pacquiao (pic) had on March 7 confirmed his next fight will be on June 24, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
The Filipino Senator believed his opponent would be World Boxing Association (WBA) (regular) welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse.
Manny was quoted by the Manila Times saying: 
"It's already final I'm going to fight in Malaysia on June 24. It is against Matthysse. I'll be ready for the preparation and it's going to be 11 weeks."
Sports Commissioner Datuk Zaiton Othman, however, said her office had yet to receive any application regarding the fight. Zaiton said:
"Yes, I read about it but we have not received any application (from the organisers). Perhaps it's still early since the fight is scheduled in June 24."
According to the Sports Development Act 1997, sporting events in the country must be licensed by the Commissioner. 
Observers are intrigued to find out who from Malaysia is luring Manny to fight in Kuala Lumpur. 
ESPN's Dan Rafael reported:
1. Eric Gomez, the president of Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Matthysse, said Manny's adviser Michael Koncz had contacted him about a possible Pacquiao-Matthysse fight but that they have not made a deal yet.
2.  Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said the group interested in bringing Manny to fight to Malaysia supposedly would put up US$15 million with US$5 million up front.
"If the money comes up then I've agreed to sign on. We would handle the logistics, we would handle the undercard and we would handle the television. 
"All they have to do is say they got the US$5 million of the US$15 million. That makes it legit. [But] I'm not booking my flight [to Malaysia] yet."
Rappler reported that the 39-year-old Manny will be co-promoting the bout after rejecting an offer to fight in Las Vegas on an undercard to his recent conqueror Jeff Horn. Read full report here.
Manny was in Malaysia late last year as the boxer-turned-politician and his delegation paid a visit to the Johor Royal Family. 
Picture posted on Johor Southern Tigers Facebook page on Set 26, 2017
Johor Southern Tigers, the official Johor Darul Ta'zim football Facebook page that also highlights matters from the palace, had in a Sept 26, 2017 posting said: 
"Other than the meeting's objective to strengthen the relationship between the two parties, this is also to discuss an initiation of a boxing match in Johor ..."

Jaohar Events had late last year announced Manny will fight in The Johor Redemption in Kuala Lumpur. No dates were revealed during the press conference held in Johor Baru on Nov 30, 2017.
Utusan Malaysia had then reported that Manny had visited Johor twice over the past two months and had "formed a special friendship with the Crown Price of Johor" Tunku Ismail Ibrahim. Read the full report here.

Tunku Ismail Ibrahim, fondly referred to as TMJ here, has a strong connection with Argentina - the country where Matthysse is from.

Among the Argentineans who have served TMJ through Johor Darul Ta'zim include footballers Pablo Aimar, Jorge Pereyra Diaz, Patricio Rodriguez and former coach Mario Gomez.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What went wrong with KL SEA Games?

145 gold medals.
It's the best Team Malaysia has ever achieved since the inception of the SEAP Games in1959.
The 29th edition of the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur ended yesterday. The opening ceremony dazzled those at the stands and viewers at home while the performances during the closing ceremony yesterday jogged plenty of musical memories to many.
Our athletes, the real superheroes, brought smiles through their heroic display. They made everyday a happy day.
Kudos to the officials - from the coaches, the National Sports Institute and National Sports Council - for their hard work in ensuring our athletes perform to their best.
But it was not all memorable.
From

'World fashion disaster' in KL

World Fashion Week Asia 2017 ended over the weekend.

And the launch on Friday at Palace of the Golden Horses at Mines Resort City just outside Kuala Lumpur turned out to be a forgettable night.

Why?

It was poorly organised.

Just as many are trying to get over the nightmare witnessed throughout the KL SEA Games, the organiser of World Fashion Week Asia 2017 has made it look like Malaysians seem to have lost it when it comes to hosting major events and hospitality.

Here's why.

Royal protocol ignored

1. The Sultanah of Terengganu Sultanah Nur Zahirah was invited to grace the event.
    a. There was no holding room for the Sultanah and VIPs accompanying her.
    b. The Sultanah was invited on stage without anyone accompanying her there (a big NO NO if anyone knows protocol involving royalty).
    c. The event dragged on till 11.30pm, way past the cut off point of the very many events I've attended with members of the royal family present.
   d. The Sultanah was forced to walk all t…

Klang run 'illegal', says Sports Commissioner

UPDATE (Dec 11; 11.58am): Sporting events approved by Sports Commissioner's Office will be posted on the Youth and Sports Ministry's website starting Dec 14, as revealed by the Sports Commissioner in her statement today. I'm glad the last point of my observation (as per posting right below) has been addressed.

---

UPDATE (10.57pm): A Twitter user had sent me a link by the organiser of the Klang Heritage Marathon 2017. It states that the marathon has been "postponed to Oct 14, 2018" and that they have been victims of fake news and will lodge reports with the authorities against materials with elements of defamation or fake news. Read the full statement, posted on Dec 2, here.

---
ORIGINAL POST

A Klang City International Marathon 2017 pacer suffered serious injuries after she and two others were hit by a car

Turns out that the organiser of this morning's event, Earth Runners International Group Sdn Bhd, DID NOT submit any application to the Sports Commissioner&#…