Skip to main content

Bury the dope case?

I got my hands on a copy of the letter and report of the "Investigative Interview of Athletes who did not attend Out of Competition Urine Test by the National Sports Institute (NSI)" on the six sprinters that missed the test on May 24, 2011.

Here are the facts;

1. Six athletes missed anti-dope test on May 24, 2011.

2. Interview session only conducted some four months later.

3. Panel chairman wrote to Malaysia Athletics Federation (MAF) president Shahidan Kassim on Sept 27, 2011 (with detailed report of interview attached).

4. Sprinters confessed their coach (Harun Rasheed) had asked them to "bring someone else's urine for the medical test."

5. Sprinters confessed having asked to take "herbal pills" supplied by a former national athlete.

6. One of the runners confessed having met Harun at the NSI car park at noon on May 24. Harun claimed he was only with the athletes until 9am and left for "Menara Maybank to sort out his daughter's wedding preparation" on the same day.

7. MAF deputy president Karim Ibrahim claimed he was unaware of the anti-doping test and "mentioned that a runner was recording their discussion at the Serdang Steak House on the mobile phone." (A CD of the recording was handed to the panel and was played during Dengan Izin recently.)

My question is - if the findings of the report were made public in September itself, wouldn't that serve as a deterrent and scare athletes and coaches from taking pills? And perhaps due to such 'fear' we could have saved the embarrassment of two of our national athletes who failed the anti-doping test during the Indonesia Sea Games in November.

It was exposed last year May that the sprinters took 'pink pills' (as seen here) and the runners confessed having taken such pills and many more in the interview session. Why no action was taken when we exposed it in May?

Read the front page story of today's The Malay Mail and here.

HD says: It was first known as Malaysia Amateur Athletics Union, then Malaysia Athletics Union but now in all corresponding letters they are referred as the Malaysia Athletics Federation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What went wrong with KL SEA Games?

145 gold medals.
It's the best Team Malaysia has ever achieved since the inception of the SEAP Games in1959.
The 29th edition of the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur ended yesterday. The opening ceremony dazzled those at the stands and viewers at home while the performances during the closing ceremony yesterday jogged plenty of musical memories to many.
Our athletes, the real superheroes, brought smiles through their heroic display. They made everyday a happy day.
Kudos to the officials - from the coaches, the National Sports Institute and National Sports Council - for their hard work in ensuring our athletes perform to their best.
But it was not all memorable.
From

'World fashion disaster' in KL

World Fashion Week Asia 2017 ended over the weekend.

And the launch on Friday at Palace of the Golden Horses at Mines Resort City just outside Kuala Lumpur turned out to be a forgettable night.

Why?

It was poorly organised.

Just as many are trying to get over the nightmare witnessed throughout the KL SEA Games, the organiser of World Fashion Week Asia 2017 has made it look like Malaysians seem to have lost it when it comes to hosting major events and hospitality.

Here's why.

Royal protocol ignored

1. The Sultanah of Terengganu Sultanah Nur Zahirah was invited to grace the event.
    a. There was no holding room for the Sultanah and VIPs accompanying her.
    b. The Sultanah was invited on stage without anyone accompanying her there (a big NO NO if anyone knows protocol involving royalty).
    c. The event dragged on till 11.30pm, way past the cut off point of the very many events I've attended with members of the royal family present.
   d. The Sultanah was forced to walk all t…

Klang run 'illegal', says Sports Commissioner

UPDATE (Dec 11; 11.58am): Sporting events approved by Sports Commissioner's Office will be posted on the Youth and Sports Ministry's website starting Dec 14, as revealed by the Sports Commissioner in her statement today. I'm glad the last point of my observation (as per posting right below) has been addressed.

---

UPDATE (10.57pm): A Twitter user had sent me a link by the organiser of the Klang Heritage Marathon 2017. It states that the marathon has been "postponed to Oct 14, 2018" and that they have been victims of fake news and will lodge reports with the authorities against materials with elements of defamation or fake news. Read the full statement, posted on Dec 2, here.

---
ORIGINAL POST

A Klang City International Marathon 2017 pacer suffered serious injuries after she and two others were hit by a car

Turns out that the organiser of this morning's event, Earth Runners International Group Sdn Bhd, DID NOT submit any application to the Sports Commissioner&#…