US-based Malaysian scientist makes a major breakthrough

As news of a scientific breakthrough by US researchers make headlines, Malaysians should be proud to know that a fellow countryman was involved in the production of the first experimental vaccine with a 100 per cent success rate in protecting subjects from malaria.
Sanaria Inc vice-president of process development and manufacturing Dr Betty Sim Kim Lee (pic) dedicated her life to the field of scientific research.

“I have worked on filariasis (the disease that causes elephantiasis) and malaria since my university days. I have also worked on other infectious diseases like dengue fever, SARS, anthrax and plague,” she said.

Sim, who grew up in Kota Baru, received her early education at SK Zainab and Sultan Ismail College.

“When I was in high school, I participated in science fairs. I even travelled from Kota Baru to Kuala Lumpur to participate in a national science fair when I was in Form 6,” she said.

She pursued her undergraduate and graduate studies at University Malaya.


Read more of Betty here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tickets for Kuala Lumpur Masters Malaysia Super 100 2023 now available

Pelepasan cukai tambahan untuk pembelian alatan sukan, sewaan fasiliti sukan antara cadangan untuk Bajet 2024

From 'Mr P' to 'Kemelut Dalaman BAM': Four chapters of 'mesej Whatsapp layang'