Skip to main content

Forget about dramatic officials

They rallied the crowd to cheer them on during the match and rightfully gave badminton enthusiasts something to cheer about.

Goh V Shem and Lim Khim Wah defeated China pair Chai Biao-Hong Wei 21-19, 21-18 in the men’s doubles final at the Malaysia Open over the weekend. Both pairs provided a breath of fresh air for their character and eagerness to outdo each other proved badminton was alive at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil.
1

Goh and Lim made up for the disappointing outing provided by top national doubles pair Koo Kean Keat-Tan Boon Heong who were smashed out in the first round of the competition last week.
World No.1 Lee Chong Wei, meanwhile, was reduced to tears as he fell on his knees and thanked the Almighty after netting his 10th Malaysia Open title. He edged Indonesian Tommy Sugiarto 21-19, 21-9 in the men’s single final.


Two contrasting tales — one of an upcoming pair who, hopefully, have plenty more to offer while the other is about an aging hero who has hinted of hanging his racquet for good come year end — that provided a happy ending.

One cannot blame Chong Wei for wanting out as he had been the sole champion of the national badminton cause for many years.

A picture of Chong Wei with his wife, former international Wong Mew Choo, and their son Kingston proved fatherhood had kicked in and he would naturally want to spend more time with his family now more than ever.

V Shem and Khim Wah have given fans and sportswriters a glimmer of hope that badminton would continue to hog the back pages of the dailies even after Chong Wei retires.
They have also provided badminton administrators a lifeline for the officials appear to hog the limelight for the wrong reasons.

From the supposed changes implemented by the office bearers to the series of resignations within the BA of Malaysia — with the latest being an "email" from general manager Kenny Goh wanting out only to insist he is back in the fold yesterday — these officials ought to realise they have plenty more to contribute to the national badminton scene rather than just juicy controversies.
Perhaps the officials should forget about petty issues and look at the development of the sport at the grassroots and their respective states first before implementing grand plans and setting up
numerous committees.


Read more in Haresh Says, as published in Mailsport, today.

HD says: The sport is bigger than any individual.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What went wrong with KL SEA Games?

145 gold medals.
It's the best Team Malaysia has ever achieved since the inception of the SEAP Games in1959.
The 29th edition of the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur ended yesterday. The opening ceremony dazzled those at the stands and viewers at home while the performances during the closing ceremony yesterday jogged plenty of musical memories to many.
Our athletes, the real superheroes, brought smiles through their heroic display. They made everyday a happy day.
Kudos to the officials - from the coaches, the National Sports Institute and National Sports Council - for their hard work in ensuring our athletes perform to their best.
But it was not all memorable.
From

'World fashion disaster' in KL

World Fashion Week Asia 2017 ended over the weekend.

And the launch on Friday at Palace of the Golden Horses at Mines Resort City just outside Kuala Lumpur turned out to be a forgettable night.

Why?

It was poorly organised.

Just as many are trying to get over the nightmare witnessed throughout the KL SEA Games, the organiser of World Fashion Week Asia 2017 has made it look like Malaysians seem to have lost it when it comes to hosting major events and hospitality.

Here's why.

Royal protocol ignored

1. The Sultanah of Terengganu Sultanah Nur Zahirah was invited to grace the event.
    a. There was no holding room for the Sultanah and VIPs accompanying her.
    b. The Sultanah was invited on stage without anyone accompanying her there (a big NO NO if anyone knows protocol involving royalty).
    c. The event dragged on till 11.30pm, way past the cut off point of the very many events I've attended with members of the royal family present.
   d. The Sultanah was forced to walk all t…

Klang run 'illegal', says Sports Commissioner

UPDATE (Dec 11; 11.58am): Sporting events approved by Sports Commissioner's Office will be posted on the Youth and Sports Ministry's website starting Dec 14, as revealed by the Sports Commissioner in her statement today. I'm glad the last point of my observation (as per posting right below) has been addressed.

---

UPDATE (10.57pm): A Twitter user had sent me a link by the organiser of the Klang Heritage Marathon 2017. It states that the marathon has been "postponed to Oct 14, 2018" and that they have been victims of fake news and will lodge reports with the authorities against materials with elements of defamation or fake news. Read the full statement, posted on Dec 2, here.

---
ORIGINAL POST

A Klang City International Marathon 2017 pacer suffered serious injuries after she and two others were hit by a car

Turns out that the organiser of this morning's event, Earth Runners International Group Sdn Bhd, DID NOT submit any application to the Sports Commissioner&#…