Skip to main content

National Football Development Programme: Help us help you, says Najib

Article by Vijhay Vick, as published in The Malay Mail on April 11, 2014.

Support from parents is the key factor to ensure the success of the National Football Development Programme (NFDP).

NFDP was officially announced as a national agenda and received a financial boost to carry its goal of producing a better generation of footballers during its launch at the renamed Mokhtar Dahari Academy (formerly known as National Football Academy) in Gambang, Pahang on April 10, 2014.

najib

In announcing an additional RM10 million allocation from the federal government, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak warned the project would not reap benefits without the support of all parties, especially parents.

He labelled NFDP as “the start of Malaysian football’s revival” and opinioned Malaysian sports would only reach its pinnacle if she is a successful football nation.

“This is not just an effort by the Sports Ministry, Education Ministry and FA of Malaysia (FAM), but a national project. We need to elevate the status of NFDP to get as many parties involved,” said Najib.

“We need the support of the parents. In the United States, parents are very committed to their children’s participation. We need a similar commitment.

“Football is the most popular sport in the country ... by far. We have the World No.1 in badminton and squash, but satisfaction would only come with our football at a higher level.”

NFDP was first mooted under Lim Kim Chon’s watch in 2011.

Plans to enhance the programmes were made when Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin came into office last year.

Former international Lim Teong Kim, who spent the last 12 years as development coach with European giants Bayern Munich, was appointed as project director to over ensure NFDP becomes a success.

The six-year first phase blueprint consists of a five-year thrust with focus on establishing the national football DNA, encouraging more participation of young talents, providing standard compliant facilities, improving the standard of coaching and strengthening the structure of competitions at all levels.

HD says: All the best to those running the show

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What went wrong with KL SEA Games?

145 gold medals.
It's the best Team Malaysia has ever achieved since the inception of the SEAP Games in1959.
The 29th edition of the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur ended yesterday. The opening ceremony dazzled those at the stands and viewers at home while the performances during the closing ceremony yesterday jogged plenty of musical memories to many.
Our athletes, the real superheroes, brought smiles through their heroic display. They made everyday a happy day.
Kudos to the officials - from the coaches, the National Sports Institute and National Sports Council - for their hard work in ensuring our athletes perform to their best.
But it was not all memorable.
From

'World fashion disaster' in KL

World Fashion Week Asia 2017 ended over the weekend.

And the launch on Friday at Palace of the Golden Horses at Mines Resort City just outside Kuala Lumpur turned out to be a forgettable night.

Why?

It was poorly organised.

Just as many are trying to get over the nightmare witnessed throughout the KL SEA Games, the organiser of World Fashion Week Asia 2017 has made it look like Malaysians seem to have lost it when it comes to hosting major events and hospitality.

Here's why.

Royal protocol ignored

1. The Sultanah of Terengganu Sultanah Nur Zahirah was invited to grace the event.
    a. There was no holding room for the Sultanah and VIPs accompanying her.
    b. The Sultanah was invited on stage without anyone accompanying her there (a big NO NO if anyone knows protocol involving royalty).
    c. The event dragged on till 11.30pm, way past the cut off point of the very many events I've attended with members of the royal family present.
   d. The Sultanah was forced to walk all t…

Klang run 'illegal', says Sports Commissioner

UPDATE (Dec 11; 11.58am): Sporting events approved by Sports Commissioner's Office will be posted on the Youth and Sports Ministry's website starting Dec 14, as revealed by the Sports Commissioner in her statement today. I'm glad the last point of my observation (as per posting right below) has been addressed.

---

UPDATE (10.57pm): A Twitter user had sent me a link by the organiser of the Klang Heritage Marathon 2017. It states that the marathon has been "postponed to Oct 14, 2018" and that they have been victims of fake news and will lodge reports with the authorities against materials with elements of defamation or fake news. Read the full statement, posted on Dec 2, here.

---
ORIGINAL POST

A Klang City International Marathon 2017 pacer suffered serious injuries after she and two others were hit by a car

Turns out that the organiser of this morning's event, Earth Runners International Group Sdn Bhd, DID NOT submit any application to the Sports Commissioner&#…