Mighty Thor new Asian snooker champion

Having the pleasure of covering Thor Chuan Leong when he was a rookie in the scene, I am humbled to have recorded his achievement after he won the Asian Snooker Championship yesterday.

Congratulations Thor!
                               
As published in Mailsport today

National cue artist Rory Thor Chuan Leong (pic) has now joined the likes of legendary snooker players Sam Chong and Ooi Chin Kay after potting the Asian Championship title in Fujairah, UAE yesterday. 

Thor defeated Taiwan’s Hung Chung Ming 7-3 in the final to lift the title, ending Malaysia’s 20 year drought in the regional meet. Chong won the title in 1990 while Ooi was named champion in the 1994 edition.
 
The Penangite was elated with the win but stressed he was no where near the likes of Chong and Ooi.
 
“They are still better players ... I respect them a lot. Chong has won so many titles and this is just the beginning for me,” said Thor, 26.
 
“I dedicate this win for the country.”
 
This is his fourth consecutive win in recent weeks after having won the Mike Yew Memorial Cup held in Kuala Lumpur early last month followed by the XZ tour championship and the Penang Open.
 
The two time Sea Games gold medalist admitted he was only aiming for a semifinal finish in the tournament.
 
“I’ve never thought about winning the championship. But when I won the semifinal, I told myself to go all out. 
I’m feeling great (with the win).”
 
Read more in The Malay Mail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tickets for Kuala Lumpur Masters Malaysia Super 100 2023 now available

Pelepasan cukai tambahan untuk pembelian alatan sukan, sewaan fasiliti sukan antara cadangan untuk Bajet 2024

From 'Mr P' to 'Kemelut Dalaman BAM': Four chapters of 'mesej Whatsapp layang'