Skip to main content

Striker Safee Sali ‘struck’ 
by gun in truck

As published in Malay Mail today

By Haresh Deol

KUALA LUMPUR — Striker Safee Sali has been gunned down by a gun and live bullets find in his pickup truck.
He told Johor Baru police he had sent his vehicle to a workshop to fix some accessories. A man driving his green Ford Ranger has been arrested.
Fresh from winning the FA Cup final, the Johor Darul Ta’zim footballer and his teammates were on their way to Johor Baru yesterday when he received a phone call that police had found a gun in his pickup truck.
Police had stopped the vehicle, driven by a 4x4 accessories workshop owner, at a roadblock near the Kempas exit at the North-South Expressway at noon yesterday.
They found a Smith & Wesson pistol and 30 live bullets in a yellow bag on the back seat of the vehicle. 
“I was in the bus with my teammates in a joyous mood after beating PKNS 2-1 in the final,” Safee said. 
“As we left Segamat after meeting the Kembara Mahkota convoy, I received a phone call and was informed police had found a gun in my vehicle. Suddenly, my joy was cut short.”
He said he sent his vehicle to the “4x4 specialist” in Johor Baru last week to get some accessories fixed.
“It was the first time I had sent my vehicle to the workshop that came highly recommended,” he said. 
“His prices were decent and I was supposed to get it accessorised, including a new set of rims. I was to pick the vehicle up after the final.”
Safee said police would record his statement today, adding he was eager to get his vehicle from the police station.
“I’m not paying a single sen for the modifications he had made,” he said.
The 34-year-old suspect is believed to have told police he had found the gun and bullets in a plastic bag while fishing with a friend at a water treatment plant in Pasir Gudang last month.
The suspect said he had kept the gun in his shop to protect himself. Police said the suspect has two previous drug convictions.


Popular posts from this blog

Football journo's accreditation card retracted for being 'overly critical'

Four Four Two journalist Vijhay Vick's accreditation card to cover the M-League has been "retracted" by Football Malaysia LLP last night.

The letter, signed by FMLLP chief executive officer Kevin Ramalingam, stated:
"We are open to criticism by the public, however, it has been brought to FMLLP's attention that you have been overly critical of the Malaysian League and have made misleading statements and or shared misleading statements made by third parties. This is very damaging to the image of the League and the brand that we are trying to build."
It remains unclear which articles written by Vijhay are said to be "overly critical" of the Malaysian League.
Vijhay, in responding to the letter he received last night, said: 
"I was shocked (to receive the letter). I would like to know which articles of mine that are overly critical of the league."
It is best if FMLLP explained its definition of being "overly critical". 
While the bo…

Poser over national table tennis association 'RM8 million loans' to private companies

UPDATE (May 20, 2018; 3.15pm):Lawyer representing Table Tennis Association of Malaysia admitted manner in which loans amounting to RM8 million given out by association to two developers was "not right" and that his client is taking steps to terminate the contracts. He said this after attending an exco meeting at the association's office in Bukit Jalil this morning.

The Table Tennis Association of Malaysia (TTAM) has been smashed with allegations of giving out RM8 million worth of "loans" to two developers, raising eyebrows and irking at least two of its affiliates.

A police report has also been lodged over the matter.

According to a letter by the Kuala Lumpur Table Tennis Association (KLTTA), written on May 3:

i. TTAM's Financial Statement (ended March 31, 2018) presented during the 6th Exco Meeting on April 21, 2018 saw a total sum of RM8 million loans granted to two private companies - Ekal Jaya Sdn Bhd and Iktimewah Sdn Bhd (RM4 million …

So what's next for FAM?

UPDATE (March 25, 3.15pm): Tunku Ismail Ibrahim resigns as FA of Malaysia president.
UPDATE (March 17, 9.52am): As of late last night, it's status quo at Wisma FAM.
Tunku Ismail Ibrahim remains as president as "no resignation letter was submitted".
Insiders say Tunku Ismail was "very disturbed and feels unappreciated following critical comments, especially on social media, about the national team's FIFA ranking despite the many other achievements (as listed in the original post below) throughout his close to one year stint in office".
UPDATE (March 16, 8.25am): FA of Malaysia general-secretary Datuk Hamidin Amin said: 
"Sudah tentu jika kita membiarkan Tunku Ismail meletak jawatan, kita juga akan kehilangan penaja dan saya sendiri tidak dapat membayangkan siapa yang layak untuk menggantikan tempat baginda sebagai Presiden FAM."
Read his full statement here.


UPDATE (March 16, 10.19am): Another FAM official makes a (very short) statement. Below…