'Go out and get some sun'

Zulaikah Nurziana Nasseer in action at the 100Plus Amateur Golf Championship that ended yesterday.
- Picture from Zulaikah

Local golfer Zulaikah Nurziana Nasser was roped into the national team yesterday.

And the 15-year-old has this to say to her peers - get out and get some sun!

"I travel a lot ... so much at times. Yes, there are times I wished I could just stay at home and do what every 15-year-old would do as well," said Zulaikah.

"But spending time out has reaped results. So yeah, they (children and teenagers) should get out and get some sun. "

She was quick to admit it was easier said than done.

"It boils down to interest at the end of the day. You just can't force it (someone to love sports)."

Zulaikah, who turned 15 on September 14, admitted she was nervous when told she made the cut to the national squad two weeks ago.

"I was really excited but nervous ... I wasn't playing my best in the past last two tournaments but after competing in the 100Plus Amateur Golf Championship, I told myself I'm ready," she said.

Zulaikah, who has a zero handicap, came out tied 10th in the tournament held at the Glenmarie Golf and Country Club which ended yesterday.

The private school student (Oneness Academy, USJ), who is in the top 10 of the national ranking and ranked 1311 in the World Amateur Golf Ranking, said she was always bullish of making it to the national team.

"I didn't expect it to be this soon," she said.

"Being part of the national team is exciting. However, the level of play is different and I have to keep up and constantly push myself."

Zulaikah started playing golf when she was eight. Previously, she spent much of her time swimming.

"I wasn't really fond of sport in the beginning to be honest. I couldn't pursue swimming due to a condition and thought golf would be the next best alternative. It was like .. 'hey, there was nothing else to do so anyway why not golf '."

I started becoming good at it and that spurred me to participate in tournaments about four years ago."

It was no turning back for Zulaikah since then. Golf courses became her second home.

So what's next for Zulaikah?

"I'll be competing in the Faldo Series in Johor next week. I'll be leaving KL on Sunday.

"My best score is 68. I plan to achieve the same score or do better."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tickets for Kuala Lumpur Masters Malaysia Super 100 2023 now available

Pelepasan cukai tambahan untuk pembelian alatan sukan, sewaan fasiliti sukan antara cadangan untuk Bajet 2024

From 'Mr P' to 'Kemelut Dalaman BAM': Four chapters of 'mesej Whatsapp layang'