Skip to main content

The gold rush

THE incentives keep pouring in.

As the national athletes gear up for the coming London Olympics, KL Racquets Club (KLRC) president and gold mine tycoon Datuk Seri Andrew Kam offered an RM2 million gold bar to the shuttler that returns with the elusive Olympic gold medal.

This in addition to the string of incentives which has been offered by the government and a private company to the athlete who wins the nation's first Olympic gold medal.
Among those who attended the Press Conference organised by KLRC at a leading hotel in KL yesterday included Olympic Council of Malaysia secretary Datuk Sieh Kok Chi, World No 2 Lee Chong Wei, doubles pair Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, former shuttler Razif Sidek and former BA of Malaysia president Tan Sri Elyas Omar.

Kok Chi, had earlier in his speech, maintained the national shuttlers remain as the best bet for winning the Olympics - this despite Chong Wei admitting he is not fully fit for the Summer Games.

"The badminton players still have a shot at glory and it is great to see many people coming on board to hand such lucrative support. What is important is that the athletes focus on what is important for them," Kok Chi said.

Andrew, meanwhile, said it is his love for badminton that motivated him to offer such a reward.

"I love the sport and it is loved by many Malaysians. I challenge our players to come back with the gold medal and I will deliver my promise," Andrew added.

HD says: All the best to our national shuttlers.

Comments

  1. that is a good one "many people coming on board to hand such lucrative support"..as in today's Star BAM sponsoring coucil members who are paid fat allowances per month have worked hard to produce badminton stars. sorry my friend Haresh, it makes me puke that they have worked hard.. what have they achieved for the individual states other than holding of challengers for their positions...fun will begin when the President steps down. you can bet on it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What went wrong with KL SEA Games?

145 gold medals.
It's the best Team Malaysia has ever achieved since the inception of the SEAP Games in1959.
The 29th edition of the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur ended yesterday. The opening ceremony dazzled those at the stands and viewers at home while the performances during the closing ceremony yesterday jogged plenty of musical memories to many.
Our athletes, the real superheroes, brought smiles through their heroic display. They made everyday a happy day.
Kudos to the officials - from the coaches, the National Sports Institute and National Sports Council - for their hard work in ensuring our athletes perform to their best.
But it was not all memorable.
From

'World fashion disaster' in KL

World Fashion Week Asia 2017 ended over the weekend.

And the launch on Friday at Palace of the Golden Horses at Mines Resort City just outside Kuala Lumpur turned out to be a forgettable night.

Why?

It was poorly organised.

Just as many are trying to get over the nightmare witnessed throughout the KL SEA Games, the organiser of World Fashion Week Asia 2017 has made it look like Malaysians seem to have lost it when it comes to hosting major events and hospitality.

Here's why.

Royal protocol ignored

1. The Sultanah of Terengganu Sultanah Nur Zahirah was invited to grace the event.
    a. There was no holding room for the Sultanah and VIPs accompanying her.
    b. The Sultanah was invited on stage without anyone accompanying her there (a big NO NO if anyone knows protocol involving royalty).
    c. The event dragged on till 11.30pm, way past the cut off point of the very many events I've attended with members of the royal family present.
   d. The Sultanah was forced to walk all t…

Klang run 'illegal', says Sports Commissioner

UPDATE (Dec 11; 11.58am): Sporting events approved by Sports Commissioner's Office will be posted on the Youth and Sports Ministry's website starting Dec 14, as revealed by the Sports Commissioner in her statement today. I'm glad the last point of my observation (as per posting right below) has been addressed.

---

UPDATE (10.57pm): A Twitter user had sent me a link by the organiser of the Klang Heritage Marathon 2017. It states that the marathon has been "postponed to Oct 14, 2018" and that they have been victims of fake news and will lodge reports with the authorities against materials with elements of defamation or fake news. Read the full statement, posted on Dec 2, here.

---
ORIGINAL POST

A Klang City International Marathon 2017 pacer suffered serious injuries after she and two others were hit by a car

Turns out that the organiser of this morning's event, Earth Runners International Group Sdn Bhd, DID NOT submit any application to the Sports Commissioner&#…